Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Greetings from San Francisco (Confessions of an Instagrammar)

-->
So, I’m in San Francisco.  And I forgot my phone.  I realized this on the way to the airport, at the precise moment where we could no longer turn around to get it.  Apart from the whole keeping-in-contact-with-my-child-and-husband thing, the lacking phone is inconvenient because it is my only camera.  And so I have been wandering around here for the last two days and nary a snap to document my travels!

Normally, I quite enjoy instagram.  I enjoy looking at other people’s photos – both of everyday life and glamorous travels.  I enjoy the desire to find the beauty in every moment, every day.  And I was really looking forward to instagramming this trip.  As I walk around though, I’ve been thinking – why?  Is it really because those bunches of little red chillies at the UN Building Farmer’s Market this morning ($1 a bunch! Very hot!) were such a beautiful contrast of little bullets of shiny red against branches of green leaves?  Or is it actually just me wanting to show off? Look at me, I’m in San Francisco! I’m important! I travel.  I don’t just stay in Canberra all the time.

Shamefully, it is both.  The chillies were very pretty, and probably would have made a nice snap.  But I can’t deny there is an element of wanting to portray the exotic parts of my life.  I don’t instagram the laundry, or the daycare run, or the weekly grocery shop (ok, sometimes I do the latter.  I obviously am a sucker for fresh produce).  But for this – my first conference, my first trip to San Francisco – I want to be able to just drop it, ever so casually, into the photographic conversation.  But I can’t (so I’m doing it by a blog post instead. I’m aware of the irony.).   What I’ve come to realize though, is in a way, being camera and phone-less has been strangely liberating.  I can’t document this trip, and I can’t show it off.  So I just have to observe, and absorb, and be content in my own memories.

Of course, there are moments – like the Chihuahua in a baby bjorn – that I really, really wished I had that phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment